The National Police Certificate is a document stating an individual’s disclosable court outcomes and any pending court charges. It also includes any traffic court outcomes the applicant may have. This document is issued by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission and local police authorities.
Uses of the National Police Certificate
The National Police Certificate is commonly required for licensing bodies and pre-employment processes. The document forms part of background checks and screening processes of companies and licensing agencies. The certificate may also be required for the following purposes:
- Application for Permanent Residence
- Immigration purposes
- Overseas travel and visa application
- Adoption (local and overseas)
- Overseas employment
How to Apply for the Certificate
A person may apply in two ways: online and in-person.
- Applicants who opt for online applications may visit their local police website. They will be prompted to create a My Post Digital Mail account. Application forms are completed, documents are sent, and payment is made through credit card.
- Applicant opting to apply in-person may visit participating Australia Post outlets only. They have over 335 participating outlets nationwide. Applicant must fill out an application form, present valid identity documents, and pay the corresponding fees in money order or cheque only. Note that the applicant is not required to go to the police stations.
Documents for verifying the applicant’s identity must total to 100 points. Here are some eligible documents:
- Full Australian Birth Certificate
- Australian Passport
- International Passport
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Drivers License
- Firearms License
- Social Security Card / Centrelink
- Australian Learner’s Permit
National Police Certificate Security Features
The certificate is printed on special paper. It has a number of features to protect it from fraud and ensure authenticity. These include watermark images, borders with MICROTYPE characters, images in fluorescent ink and in heat-sensitive ink, and fluorescent tri-color threads visible under ultraviolet light.
Applications coursed through online and in-person transactions have separate forms of releasing results, granting that results showed no disclosable court outcomes or criminal charges. Online applications will receive an electronic National Police Certificate sent to the My Post Digital Inbox. Personal applications will receive their physical copy of the certificate via post sent to their nominated addresses.